NorthLight School recognizes that leadership potential exists in every student. Everyone deserves an opportunity to lead and make a positive impact. To that end, we have established a unique leadership program designed to nurture and harness the untapped potential within our students.
TO PROVIDE OPPORTUNITIES FOR STUDENTS TO BE A LEADER:
- CLASS LEADERS (CLASS COMMITTEE)
- PEER SUPPORT LEADERS
- CCA LEADERS
- STUDENT COUNCIL
- STUDENT COUNCIL MENTORS (WIP)
TO FURTHER DEVELOP LEADERSHIP POTENTIAL IN STUDENT LEADERS THROUGH TRAINING, PROGRAMMES AND PROJECTS
TO SHOW GRATITUDE THROUGH SERVICE TO THE SCHOOL AND THE COMMUNITY
Nurturing Leadership Skills:
1. Leadership Training & Workshops: We offer a variety of workshops, seminars, and training sessions that focus on building essential leadership skills. These workshops cover communication, teamwork, problem-solving, and ethical decision-making, equipping students with the tools they need to excel in leadership roles.
2. Mentorship Programs: Our school pairs experienced mentors with students who are aspiring to become leaders. These mentors provide guidance, support, and encouragement, helping students develop their leadership abilities and self-confidence.
One such example of this programme is the Deloitte-NorthLight Mentorship programme. Spanning over 5 months, this programme allows our senior Student Councillors the opportunity to learn from the Deloitte professionals, who then mentor them in various areas such as public speaking, resume writing, self-confidence and self-leadership.
Inclusive Leadership Opportunities: We strive to create an inclusive environment where all students have a chance to lead. With the various leadership opportunities in the form of class leaders, CCA leaders, Peer Support Leaders to the Student Council; these leaders are given opportunities to showcase their leadership skills and develop them by taking part and being involved in school events. From organizing events and clubs to participating in community service projects, every student can find their niche and make a difference. From planning and organizing simple school events like the Teachers Day Concert to leading visitors to the school in their learning journey, our student leaders are provided these opportunities at every level of school involvement.
Inspiring Others Through Leadership:
The essence of our motto, “Aspire to Lead, Inspire to Follow,” is a belief that true leadership is not just about one’s own achievements; it is also about inspiring others to reach their potential as well. Our student leaders are encouraged to lead by example and inspire their peers to do the same.
1. Leading with Integrity: We emphasize the importance of ethical leadership. Our student leaders are expected to uphold the highest standards of integrity, honesty, and empathy in all their actions, setting a positive example for their peers.
2. Peer Support and Mentorship: Student leaders don’t just take on responsibilities; they also act as mentors and role models for other students. This peer support network fosters a sense of belonging and unity among our student body.
3. Community Engagement: Our student leaders actively engage with the local community, volunteering their time and talents to make a positive impact beyond the school walls. This involvement instills a sense of civic responsibility and a commitment to creating a better NorthLight in a better Singapore. One such example of community engagement was the recent Heartlands Festival held in Tampines Hub, in conjunction with the National Day celebrations in the Heartlands. Our student leaders volunteered their time on Sunday to be part of the team of volunteers running and organizing activities to commemorate National Day for the residents living in and around Tampines.
In NorthLight School, the motto “Aspire to Lead, Inspire to Follow” are not just words; it is a guiding principle that drives our commitment to empowering students who were not given opportunities before. Through dedicated programs, mentorship, and a culture of inclusivity, we are proving that every student has the potential to be a leader and a source of inspiration for others. As our student leaders continue to rise and make a difference, they serve as a beacon of hope for those seeking a second chance to lead and excel in life.
The Student Leadership Committee
From left to right: Mr Marcus (school counsellor), Ms Shaza, Mr Shaleem (School SWO), Mr Rasidee (Subject Head Student Leadership & Publicity), Mr Ray, Ms Teo, Ms Tan (Subject Head Mathematics), Ms Yoong
The Student Leadership Investiture 2023 where the new Student Councillors & CCA leaders are officially inaugurated.
Deloitte-NorthLight Mentorship session @ Deloitte Singapore
Student Leadership training @ the Student Leadership camp in school.
Daily morning brief for Student Councillors
Student leaders giving a tour to the officers from the GOH Keng Swee Command and Staff College.
Student leaders and teachers volunteering at the GetActive Singapore Heartlands Festival @ Tampines Hub.
The student leader production crew (MBS: Media Broadcast Studio) creating content for the school.
Back to Top